Starting this Saturday, I have the week off from work to tackle my kitchen (and to enjoy some fireworks and ice cream, too).
I'm looking forward to transforming this old thing. This weekend I made a few purchases so that I could spend more time working and less time at Home Depot once I get underway. I've also made a 7-day plan so that I'm not all willy nilly. Before I get to that, here are a few "before" shots...
What I wouldn't give to go back in time and get those cookies right now!
Anyway, so you can see all the oak, which will soon be stained darker. The cream vinyl base will also get replaced by a darker vinyl. The walls will get painted Benjamin Moore's Silver Fox. The light fixture over the sink will be replaced, too.
The 7-Day Plan
Day 1 - Saturday 6/29
- Clean the cabinet surfaces
- Clean the walls
- Remove the vinyl base
- Remove all the stuff on the counters
- Lay down rosin paper on counters for protection
- Patch/Spackle/Wood filler for any holes
- Remove cabinet doors and hardware
- Remove old caulk around cabinets
Day 2 - Sunday 6/30
- Give cabinets and casings 2 coats of stain, including sanding and tack cloth before/after each
Day 3 - Monday 7/1
- 3rd and final coat of stain
- 2 coats of water-based poly
- Spray paint the cabinet hinges with oil-rubbed bronze (hopefully this will work instead of buying new ones)
Day 4 - Tuesday 7/2
- Rehang cabinets
- Remove all switch/plug plates for painting
- Figure out how I'm going to move the fridge and oven to paint
- Go to the pool
Day 5 - Wednesday 7/3
- Paint the walls- 2 coats
- Paint trim and inside of front door
- Touch-up any other trim around the house while I have the paint out
Day 6 - Thursday 7/4
- Any paint touch-ups
- Install new light fixture
- Install new switch/plug plates
- 4th of July Parade
- Dairy Queen
- Twilight Zone
- The 'Burbs
Day 7 - Friday 7/5
- Install new vinyl base
- Re-Caulk everything
- Clean up and probably pass-out or go to the pool again
I have all my supplies ready to go and purchased a couple key things...
So, for all of the supplies, including the light fixture and tossing in stuff I already have (I have almost a full gallon of my paint color left over from painting my living room, for example), I have spent around $200. How's that for a budget kitchen update? My only other potential expense would be if I want to get new knobs for the cabinets. I will wait until the end to make that decision, though.
Anyone else making kitchen plans? Even if it is just cooking?